HISTORY OF KING EDWARD HIGH SCHOOL
Known in the beginning as Vancouver High School, King Edward was Vancouver’s first secondary school and for almost twenty years, its only one. Because most of the city’s early high schools as well as its technical and commercial schools were direct offshoots of King Ed and drew many of their first teachers from its staff, it is called the Mother of Schools. The University of British Columbia also sprang from its campus.
Even now the principals of nine of Vancouver’s sixteen secondary schools are men who either graduated from or taught at King Ed. In the fall of 1960 a unique tribute will be paid to a former King Edward teacher, the late Dr. Annie B. Jamison, when a new elementary school will be given her name. It will mark the first time Vancouver has ever named a school for a teacher. Sometimes called “Vancouver’s Miss Chips”, Dr. Jamieson taught a King Ed from 1907 until 1927 and for ten of those years was the school’s vice-principal.
Vancouver was not quite four years old and had hardly lived down its pioneer name of Gastown when, on January 6, 1890, twenty-five boys and girls enrolled in its first high-school class. And the school will not mean nearly so much to them until after they’ve left. Then many of them will come back to visit, to recapture a glimpse of their youth.
The twenties were the era of Percy Williams. This lithe, clean-cut youngster and
his amazing success, from schoolboy runner to Olympic champion, seemed to epitomize
the carefree, optimistic spirit of the times. The boys wore Prince of Wales sweaters
and plus-fours, the girls raised hemlines above the knee, everybody sang Roll’em,
Girls, Roll’em, and, the 1924 matric annual noted the ambition of a girl named Helen
Lamb was to be Valentino’s dancing partner. Everything, as the saying went, was
Transcript of an article in McLean’s Magazine, September 12,1959 by Ray Gardner “PORTRAIT OF A HIGH SCHOOL – KING ED”